Digitizing historical archives
Digital preservation in historical archives
- Their fonds are wide. They cover from acts and legal text to maps or any other deposit.
- Classification is very complex.
- The masters are very valuable and are accessed to get high quality copies, legal validation or create derivative works.
- In some cases, they are digitised on demand, depending on the need to reproduce the object. Due to this, keeping coherence in formats and processes is more complex.
- They are stored on DVD and offline disks. These media are difficult to document and to link to an online catalogue.
The solution: preserving with libsafe
- Fast delivery, thanks to the default preservation plan for archives, included with libsafe.
- Advanced metadata management. Built-in ISAD(g) filter, and possibility to import any custom metadata schema.
- Format control, that ensures that the files are correct according to your policies. Regardless of the source and digitization project.
- At least, two copies for each object. Our recommendation is to keep one copy on your usual storage and a copy on libdata units.
- Built-in catalogue, so that searching and using your master will be even easier.